Here’s what I’ve been working on since July 2017. I’m hoping to finish it by July 2018. (Update from 8/1/2018: Not a chance!)
This is video #6 out of 10 intended for Smitten 3D. The Smitten 3D project is kind of like my personal Montessori school for filmmaking. There are very specific skills that I set out to learn with each video in this project. Some skills are artistic, while others are technical.
For “Go Away I Like You Too Much,” the original goals were the following:
1. Create a film that has a nonstop, kinetic energy and that is dizzying in a good way. Think Mad Max: Fury Road meets The Cat Came Back.
2. Make it look similar to a 1930s Betty Boop cartoon with rubber hose-like animations, but use Tex Avery-like exaggerations wherever possible.
3. The film should appear to be one continuous take, a la Rope, Russian Ark, and Birdman. Use a moving camera through the sets, providing a point of view that was never present in Betty Boop or Tex Avery cartoons.
5. Learn character rigging and skinning in Blender.
6. Apply my theoretical knowledge about character animation to an actual animated piece; create real “personality animation.”
7. Model everything in the video myself; don’t utilize free CG model web sites.
8. Ditch my homegrown seven computer render farm and figure out how to render on hundreds of computers at a time using Amazon Web Services.
I hope to go into more detail about some of these topics at a later date. As of right now, I need to get back to animating!